Back-to-school reminders for drivers, parents and students
2023-09-07 15:38 PDT
As we finish up the first week back to school, Prince George RCMP wants to remind drivers, parents and students alike about several important safety tips.
- School zone speed limits are now back in effect. This means a 30km/h speed limit in all marked schools zones, Monday through Friday from 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. on all regular school days.
- Do not park inside or over a designated crosswalk.
- Do not pass a stopped vehicle that is allowing pedestrians to cross the street.
- When approaching a school bus with its lights flashing and its stop sign extended, drivers in both lanes of traffic must come to a complete stop until the bus driver has turned off the lights and retracted the stop sign.
- When a vehicle is traveling at 30 km/h, it takes 18 meters (59 feet) to come to a complete stop. If you are traveling at 50 km/h, it takes 37 meters (121 feet) to stop.
- Try to avoid dropping your child off for school on the opposite side of the street from their school. If this is unavoidable, make sure your child knows how to cross the street safely at the nearest designated crosswalk.
- Avoid double-parking by stopping and unloading in non-designated parking/drop-off zones.
- Learn the traffic patterns at your child’s school and obey the directions of crossing guards.
- Be patient and courteous to other drivers and students.
- Make sure to review your route to school with your grown-up at home. Know where to cross the street and where your bus stop is if you are riding the bus.
- Don’t forget to look both ways before crossing the street. Remember: stop, look and listen for cars!
- If you are riding your bike, make sure you know the rules of the road and are traveling single file as close to the right side of the street as possible. Make sure your helmet is on and fits you properly.
Back to school safety is the responsibility of everyone on the road, but drivers must remember this is a very exciting time for students. Their eagerness to get to school may block out their concern for safety. It is up to drivers on the road to make sure they are paying extra attention in and around school zones: put down your phone, turn down the music and focus on what is around you, states Cpl. Jennifer Cooper, Media Relations Officer for the Prince George RCMP.
For more safety tips, please visit our Back to School safety tips web page.
Cpl. Jennifer CooperCommunications NCO / Media Relations Officer
Prince George RCMP
455 Victoria Street, Prince George, BC, V2L 0B7
- Date modified: