Lock it or lose it!
2023-08-09 11:34 PDT
The Comox Valley RCMP is urging residents to protect their belongings by removing them from parked vehicles and ensuring all the doors and windows are locked.
In July, police saw an increase in thefts from vehicles, particularly within the Town of Comox.
These thefts are largely preventable, simply by removing valuables and locking up. Every stolen item has a ripple effect that impacts not just the immediate victims but also law enforcement resources, and fraud investigators as they dedicate hours of investigative time to solving these crimes.
Comox is generally a very safe, close-knit community in which we know and trust our neighbours; however, it is important to remember that even in these communities, opportunistic criminals may take advantage of unlocked vehicles, said Cst. Monika Terragni, Comox Valley RCMP.
Theft Prevention Tips
- Always lock all of your vehicle's doors and windows after entering and exiting.
- Never leave your vehicle unattended with the engine running, even for a few seconds. Turn off the ignition and take the keys with you.
- Never hide a spare key in your car or outside your residence
- Never leave personal identification or valuables in your vehicle
- Remove technologic and other removable accessories from view when not in your vehicle
- Invest in anti-theft devices
Cst. Monika TerragniMedia Relations Officer
Comox Valley RCMP
800 Ryan Rd, Courtenay, BC V9N 7T1
- Date modified: