Residential break and enters - Prevention and safety tips
Don’t provide the bait
Are you a victim of any of these?
- Residential break and enters
- Memberships, new credit cards or car rentals in your name
- Loss of personal items
- Identify theft
- Credit card fraud
What do these have in common?
They all can start with a vehicle break-in.
Most common items left in vehicles
Large financial loss for replacement or contains documents or photos that are irreplaceable
Purses or wallets
Contains cash, credit cards, gift cards and personal identification
Garage openers and key fobs
Provides easy access to homes with an address from the insurance papers
Provides personal home address, driver's licence info and sometimes financial info
Prevention and safety tips
- Do not leave anything of value or with personal information in your vehicle.
- Always lock your car, even in your own driveway.
- Close and lock all windows and doors when away - including the door to your home that is in the garage.
- Do not share vacation plans or when you'll be away on social media - this identifies your home when vacant.
- Consider getting an alarm, home security system, motion-sensor lights and/or timers for internal lights.
- Date modified: